The price of phone calls from state prisons will fall from 50 percent to 67 percent this summer, the Wisconsin Department of Corrections announced in a memo Tuesday.
Rates will fall from 12 cents per minute for in-state calls and 18 cents per minute for out-of-state calls to a flat rate of 6 cents per minute, Division of Adult Institutions Administrator Makda Fessahaye wrote.
The text of the memo, as provided to WJI:
The DOC is implementing a new telephone system. Oakhill and WCCS (Wisconsin Correctional Center System) will make the change during the week of June 3rd to assure stability of the system. After approx. 30 days the other facilities will be converted. Additional info and advertisements will be shared as transition dates approach. The list below is all inclusive, but provides some notable changes.
• Rates will reduce from 12¢ a min for in state and 18¢ a min for out of state calls to a 6¢ a min flat rate. Rate changes will take effect when all sites are converted, ensuring all callers are paying the same rates.
• The new system allows inmates to fund their own CenturyLink calling accounts to make outgoing calls. Money will no longer be sent to friends and family for calling accounts. Additional info will be sent regarding this process.
• Family and friends are not required to have an account with the new system, unless they wish to accept collect calls. Family and friends may establish a new account with CenturyLink beginning May 27. That can be done online at icsolutions.com or over the phone at 1-888-506-8407 or with a cashier's check or money order through the mail at Centurylink/ICSolutions, attn: Customer Service, 2200 Danbury St., San Antonio, TX 78217.
• Family and friends who currently have Corrlinks accts should plan accordingly. Requests for a refund can take 2-3 weeks to process. Refunds from Securus can be requested at 1-800-844-6591 or online at securus.net by choosing Manage Account and then Close Account.
• Current accounts will not work after conversion occurs.
• International calls can be made on the new system using the day room phone as long as funds are available on the CenturyLink calling acct.
Help WJI advocate for justice in Wisconsin